View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
monks
Animated Skeleton

monks is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
@Pitchwife....heh..Tolkien assigns EVERYTHING in his world to the 3 sides (Ilúvatar's hands) of the geometry- of the right angled triangle he took from Plato's Republic.

That's why the Balrog and Shelob can co-exist. In fact you can concatenate a very long list of correspondences to the left and right hands of the geometry. For e.g..

Tolkien-right-A (alef)-Literature-Space-Bombadil-oak-Ursa Minor-Thor-Sword-Silver-2-....

Edith- left- B (bet)-Language-Time-Goldberry-birch-Ursa Major-Odin-Shield-Gold-6-....

The list goes on...

The narrative works on the dialectic, the conversation between the planes in the geometry- the left and right hands. The dialectic is from Plato. That conversation has tension and resolution- just like Music in fact. The Music of the Ainur- the Music of the spheres- Sun and Moon (Edith and Tolkien). Movement between the planes is via a device called THE TURN.

http://www.thewindrose.net/hello-wor...eafterwards-2/

Two essays on that here:-
http://www.thewindrose.net/research/...-in-principle/

..as applied to the Denethor TURN..
http://www.thewindrose.net/research/...n-in-practice/

The analysis of the Denethor turn began with Prediction #6 dated 01/09/17.

Tolkien Prediction #6. That the first instance where Denethor makes the statement 'The West has failed' in the Lord of the Rings would contain the word or reference to 'spirit' in the text.

‘Why? Why do the fools fly?’ said Denethor. ‘Better to burn sooner than late, for burn we must. Go back to your bonfire! And I? I will go now to my pyre. To my pyre! No tomb for Denethor and Faramir. No tomb! No long slow sleep of death embalmed. We will burn like heathen kings before ever a ship sailed hither from the West. The West has failed. Go back and burn!’
The messengers without bow or answer turned and fled.
Now Denethor stood up and released the fevered hand of Faramir that he had held. ‘He is burning, already burning,’ he said sadly. ‘The house of his spirit crumbles.’ Then stepping softly towards Pippin he looked down at him.

This prediction was generated from my theory of Tolkien's systematic (and predictable) use of rational planes, geometry and language change. While reading Tom Shippey's 'Tolkien: Author of the Century' I read about Denethor and Théoden and how they were linked as characters according to Shippey. From his remarks I had a strong hunch that the Denethor pyre sequence incorporated one of my theories: a narrative device for the movement between rational planes.

I was able to predict the appearance in the first instance of the sequence of three.

How did I do that then?...Answer: Tolkien has a SYSTEM. A mathematical system as he told Clive Kilby in Tolkien and the Silmarillion. Shippey said that Denethor repeats a phrase 3 times. That's when I made the prediction.

So...The Nazgűl and spiders dwell on the plane of the hypotenuse. The Ring eventually confines you to this plane. Gollum is in the process of being stretched like Bilbo...but he is much further on in the process...that's why he exhibits a split personality between the two sides of the geometry...Slinker and Stinker.

Tolkien uses the idiomatic expression 'thick and thin' (the travails of life and his marriage) and assigns them to the 3 sides of the triangle. Thick = Time and Space (opposite and adjacent). Thin = the hypotenuse, grey world, twilight in between.

This understanding is why I was able to make prediction #60 dated 05/04/20.

http://www.thewindrose.net/predictions/

Here's a snip from it...

I predicted that the diagonal lines of writing would be referred to as thin.

On the flat under-side Frodo saw some scratches: 'There seems to be a stroke, a dot, and three more strokes,' he said.
'The stroke on the left might be a G-rune with thin branches,' said Strider.
It would also show that he was in a hurry and danger was at hand, so that he had no time or did not dare to write anything longer or plainer.

The diagonal lines in the rune are here referred to as thin.

I have long suspected (for about 2 years) that Tolkien was mapping the notion of "thick and thin" to the opposite and adjacent sides of his geometry- that is mapping them to Time and Space. He does this with all dualities. Thick and thin is a duality. However more recently I became convinced that this mapping was different. I concluded that he was mapping the duality to the two sides to the opposite and adjacent as thick and the side of the hypotenuse as thin. I concluded this from the understanding that both Time and Space are symbolic of conflict. Time and Space, which represent Tolkien and Edith, and the left and right hands of Ilúvatar in the dialectic, are in conflict, but they can reach a state of harmony in the hypotenuse at twilight.

The diagonal is the hypotenuse..and guess what?...linking this post to the previous one above..it's the line you can draw between the two sets of 4 dots in his monogram.

Yeh, please if you know anyone from the Tolkien estate PLEASE DO get them over. I'd be very happy to talk to them all day long.

Last edited by monks; 07-06-2020 at 09:20 AM.
monks is offline   Reply With Quote