View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #491
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Hurrah! I think it sounds perfectly good. I've done a quick recording, in which Beren sounds more like Finrod and Finrod drifts towards being a Son of Feanor, but that's fine. That final 'freeeeeedooooom' broke my throat though. ^_~
The link doesn't work. ;( It's just the music without the lyrics.

Also, I can shift the piece a couple tones down once I'm finished if that makes it easier to sing. I don't like shifting them too far, because it distorts the instrument sounds, but small shift would be fine. It's in Dm currently, and I just really don't want to be stuck writing it in Bbm or something, so it will stick in the nice clean key for now unless you'd rather I moved it down a lot. How do you feel about it?

...Actually, why guess, when we can test experimentally. Cm / Am. How do these compare? The Am is already pushed past where the wind instruments start sounding different, so if we go that low I might have to rewrite chunks of it, but if it means it can be sung then no can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I snuck in and dropped some more comments; mostly on ties to and breaks from the canon, rather than nitpicking word-use.
I saw! Thank you for the comments, they are always a delight to read. Best notification to wake up to in the morning, when my phone tells me I have comments on my drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
There was one word that threw me totally - I think it was dirgal or dirgol, and I have no idea what it's meant to be except from context.
Neither do I! But from the context, a dirgol is supposed to be something of a Scottish plaid. It's one of those neologisms that I don't even know where to place linguistically - presumably Taliska, because no identifiable Elvish root and it's a specific cultural thing? But it has an Elvish ring to it. Who knows. I also have assumed that it's a neologism because I know of no equivalent in either Russian or English, but it may well be based on some obscure real world word in either language or a different language altogether (like weidh or deidi, just in that first chapter...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I mean... the word means "prince" in the old sense, as in "Prince of Gwynedd", "Prince of Powys", "Princes of the Noldor". The drift in the modern sense of that word leaves the concept without a precise word, so yeah, it's going to fracture the translation a bit. But that's a translator's job - remember "dissolved in the bitterness of bread" or whatever Amarie went on about?
Lol. I did not remember, and now I do again. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Having been involved in a Silmarillion Film project that included a few people from the Downs back around '04, the Zong gives me very much the same 'picking up ancient projects' feel, believe me. ^_~
A Silmarillion Film?! Where did that end up and why is it not all over the Downs already? I wanna see! *excited noises*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
What, you don't remember Elroger Half-even, son of the lord of Milagros/Ravendeal?

(That's slightly unfair to autocorrect: it does know "dell", though I suspect it thinks I'm talking about computers.)
...I was actually in stitches at this. But that is entirely fair to autocorrect! It doesn't usually automatically change legit words like "dell", but it keeps highlighting them to suggest things like "deal". Well, maybe not that exactly, but it's not even super archaic words, anything that's slightly out of the ordinary sets it off. It even insists on correcting "gruDge" to "gruNge". I am not sure in what universe "grunge" is either a more common or more sensible word in that context than "grudge", but here you go. Let's go fixing what's not broken.

(To actually be fair to it though, it often catches grammar lapses when my verb tenses don't align, or when I double-type a a word :P, or have a legitimate typo. But some suggestions are ridiculous. This roger holds a grunge.)

(Also, it seems to possess some level of intelligence, as I think it gave up on highlighting Beren. :-D)

EDIT: I just had a moment. It corrected "barad" to "Barad". Hui, I swear this thing is learning! It's gonna start speaking Elvish any day now.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-29-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote