View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Gollum had only emerged from the Misty Mountains within the last sixty years or so (after Bilbo left them) so there's no way he could have been captured by Mordor hundreds of years ago. As has already been pointed out, in both book and movie it seems to have been about a year's difference.<P>I'm wondering if your question had more to do with wondering why, if Sauron had the "Shire" "Baggins" information at least a year before sending out the Ringwraiths, he waited to send them out instead of doing so right away. I think the answer to that would be that initially, Gollum's torturers would not have a clue what "Shire" and "Baggins" *were*. This was a very well-hidden corner of the world; they wouldn't be able to tell at first whether they were both place names, given names, or what. <P>After that they'd have to do a little research; probably send out a few subtle and expendable scouts, and ask around for information. I think the reason they wouldn't have the Nazgul do this is that, while the Nazgul are certainly good at terrifying people into giving them information, they're also very noticeable. The last thing you want is nine black riders asking questions in every possible location, because rumors about them would spread incredibly fast, and would risk warning "Shire" "Baggins" or whatever that somebody was after him - and he might well receive this news before the Nazgul even knew exactly who or where he was. The Nazgul are much better used a sort of strike force - once you know the location, send them out as quickly and quietly as possible, before rumor of their presence has time to spread.<p>[ 4:00 PM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: Kalimac ]