View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 06:04 AM   #170
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC: This is a companion post to that of Rose. The same general thrust and outcome, but with an earlier start and later end.

Anee had finished her morning chores when she heard a ruckus and went to investigate. She stared in disbelief, learning of the sausage and Daisy’s sentence to the Locks. Anee saw Daisy scurrying about the room as she tried to pick up the food and shattered fragments of the dish. Silent tears struggled down her cheeks.

Anee's first reaction was that of anger. She'd done what she was told, and this was the result. She looked away as the guard marched Daisy off to the prison. But, just an instant later, he'd turned to her with an accusing finger, "You, you're responsible for my problems with the Captain. You said the girl would fit in here. Since you two are so friendly, you'll enjoy each other's company."

Anee found herself marched off towards the Locks with a five-day sentence to correct her behavior. The two girls were thrust into a large communal cell. It was filled with hobbits of all shapes and sizes. Some stayed a few days or weeks, while others remained over a year. As Anee looked at a few of the old-timers, her heart ran cold. Their faces were gaunt and their eyes reflected such despair that it seemed as if all life had been squeezed from them.

The guard returned and jerked them out with a rough hand. They were taken to a central area. Each was given a small plate and mug. A long list of rules was recited.

Then the guard stepped back to grin at Daisy. He'd heard about her story and wanted to have some fun, like a cat with prey between its paws. "You like sausages. Sausages are too good for the likes of you. How about this instead?"

The guard heaved up a large sack of beans, and opened it near Daisy's head. The girl ducked, but the contents went spilling in a hundred directions.

"Go ahead. Clean it up. Every one. I hear you have experence with this kind of thing. But if I see one left, even one, you'll have five extra days here."

Anee raged. It was so senseless. For the first time, she began to think that this punishment had nothing to do with sausage. It was about the shadow on the tombs and the rescue, and her chance to have a life. She felt ashamed. Just that morning, she’d reminded herself not to speak too much to Daisy, or spend time with her. Let the girl figure out things on her own.

Anee didn’t know much, but she was certain of one thing. Daisy came from someplace where there were no hobbit prisons or lists of selection. She didn’t have to be here. She’d come for a simple reason: it was the right thing to do.

The guard turned and glared at Anee who now stood near the door, pleased to have another victim in his sights. "You, get out of here. Let her go, and you can have an easy job washing clothes with a small room away from these cells."

Anee remained at the threshold, uncertain whether to go forward or turn back. The only sound she heard was an insect buzzing inside the room. Then a tiny voice echoed in her head. “What’s wrong with you? Go help her. I’d do it myself but I’m too small.”

She looked up startled and walked over to Daisy, bending down to begin picking up beans. The guard’s voice sounded a warning, but it came from far away. Within a short time, the girls had worked together to recapture every bean in the sack. And, despite the efforts of the guard, he could not find any left behind.

As they were finishing the job, Anee whisperd into Daisy's ear, “Did you find what you needed? Back on Tarcil's desk?.“

Daisy cautiously nodded yes. Anee’s response came back, “Good, then it was worth it.”

The guard marched both girls back to their cell. Anee gave Daisy a hug to stop her tears, and held her hand so she wouldn't be afraid.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]