View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #164
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Phura still had not returned from the water's edge, and Loremaster was growing concerned; but he was far more concerned about Gamba. Normally Gamba had finished digging well before dinnertime and returned, tired but eager, for his tickling match with the five children. But the dinner line had formed already.

He looked out and scanned the line, but saw none of his seven charges. Nor did he see Daisy, nor Anee. But he knew better than to ask, and raise the guards' suspicions. He was hungry, but he went back to his lore, to keep himself from worry.

Shortly after he sat back down, a dreary, broken voice spoke thickly behind him. "I have a message for you."

He spun, eyebrows raised.

Gamba slowly relayed the message. "If you don't want your gravedigger to lie in the next grave he digs, then send us someone who responds to the whip." Then he added, "From... from... the guard. He told me his name, but I don't remember it."

Loremaster rose and came to Gamba's side, and was about to take him into his arms, but stopped when he realized his shirt was tattered and his back and shoulders were covered with large bloody welts. Loremaster held out his hands gently, but Gamba would only lean his forehead against him.

"I couldn't do it, " Gamba said. "I dug all day, and I didn't nearly finish."

"Sit down, " Loremaster said. "Someone has to go and finish the graves now?"

"I'm sorry, " Gamba replied.

Loremaster sped out into the dinner line, and found Tuka with Azraph and Esta. Loremaster explained rapidly. Several hands shoved bread and fruit into Tuka's hands and pockets and ruffled his hair, and he sped towards the graveyards. He did not get back until very late.

Loremaster said, "I need a replacement for him in the mines." One of the food workers volunteered immediately.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]