View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #2917
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I assign French spelling. Seriously, if you want to say "boku", don't write "b-e-a-u-c-o-u-p". And that's not even the worst of it - there's about an infinity of letter combinations that make "eh" sounds. If you want to say ey, so write ey, don't write é, et, es, est, er, ez, ai, ais, ait, aient,, some more that don't come to mind right now, and, worst of all, eaient! Why so many ways to pronounce the same sound, or almost the same sound? Waste of letters.

/rant out.

Also, accents. Never got the point of having so many. Can't even tell the difference between them: é è ê ë, they're all just eh to me. Though Ëonwë would probably disagree with me on this one.
But if you simplify the spellings you lose the clues to meaning. the e circonflex usually indicate an s has been lost along the way. Th differences make things easier not harder.

Look at the American simplifications. Why bother changing plough to plow if you continue to spell snow snow....

and on that subject, what I really want to assign to Mordor is that the knee I injured over a year ago and thought healed has is clearly only ok in mild weather - Winter has suddenly and finally kicked in and it has become a highly effective thermometer. I know how cold it is by the degree of pain it gives me. Age creeping up on me...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote