View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 07:36 AM   #250
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Amandur

Amandur ran his good hand through his dark hair and across his neck as he considered the young man’s words. He had heard of the rangers Adoran and Mithsen and the rumours that a family member had betrayed them both, But of the black-marketer he knew little but her name and the reputation that followed her. That she was kin to the rangers would have surely been kept a guarded secret. However, it was not this that held his thoughts; it was Avanill’s recount of what occurred during his encounter with his old friend. The old man was wise beyond recount and would never do anything without good cause or reason. But what reasons would he have to anger the young man so? What purpose did it serve? But to hasten his own end… but….

Amandur abruptly stopped in his thoughts and considered the young man before him, “Could he? Would he?” he muttered to himself as he remembered the serene smile on the dead mans lips and Lespheria’s belief that the old man had been permitted to foresee his own end. Lowering his head and thoughtfully stroking his now bearded chin, he thought again of the nature and character of his old friend, then suddenly he laughed “Off course he would!” he thought aloud. If Tallas had seen even a glimpse of decency in Avanill's future, he certainly would have encouraged it, but to insult the young man so he would be forced into this very situation and given the choice to turn from his old ways would seem insane if the old man had not foreseen the outcome. Amandur shook his head in wonder and admiration.

Looking up he saw both Avanill and Rauthain regarding him as if he had finally lost his mind, ignoring their stares, he turned to address Avanill. “You may not know it boy but that old man has just saved your life and perhaps my own honour as well,” he laughed dryly, shaking his head.

“But…” Avanill began, not understanding, his sudden change in mood.

Amandur raised his hand to silence him, “I do not believe it matters any longer how or why? Just know that you have been given the opportunity to prove your worth.”

“He will come with us when we leave, his skills may prove invaluable in the days to come,” he said turning to Rauthain, “who would have guest that the Revennors own choice in companions would be her undoing , first Toby and now… well we shall see. If you don’t mind keeping our young guest company I will seek out the healers and get this damnable inconvenience seen too,” he grinned, and then winced as he motioned his broken arm.

Rauthain nodded, but he could still see a questioning look in the older mans grey eyes. “Even in death the old man casts his guiding influence,” he whispered thoughtfully. “It is not ours to question why, but to accept the help he has given; I only hope Avanill sees the opportunity afforded him. A chance to start anew, many would envy such a gift, perhaps even you or I?” he sighed, and then shaking his head he turned back to Avanill.

“You have this one chance to prove your worth boy, but know this, if you disappoint or turn on us in any way it will not be the kings justice you will have to worry about, remember that when you draw out your plans. As you have no doubt seen rangers do not tire of hunting their prey.” with that last threat given he turned and made his way to the halls of healing.

Last edited by Nerindel; 05-22-2004 at 03:24 AM.