View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Gaming the Conservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
But we need not talk about rep, as that really wasn't my intent. For example, what if you were in a conversation, and suddenly you thought up a killer one-liner, but...but someone had to say something that would allow you to drop this laugh bomb. Would you not try to game the conservation, steering it so that with some probability someone would say the line you needed? And what if, like in the game of Bridge, you had a compatriot, and somehow could get a note to this person to work the line into the conversation?

Now extend this to postings on the Downs. Or isn't everyone else as coldly manipulative as me?
A hunt, is it?

Sounds like this would be an infinitely more challenging, intriguing, imaginative, and entertaining endeavour, as here on the Downs you can't ply other "members of the conversation" with martinis and cocktails and spritzers--to say nothing of tantalizing appetizers--as you could in a RL conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al, first post
Though at this time I have no evidence - nor will I present any - but once a member had two nicks, and would have the most interesting conservations with himself/herself. Again, I have no proof, but the posting was just too 'in sync' to be posted by more than one brain.
But it certainly would explain having two (just two?) nicks, as you mention in your first post. And oh the problem with plying the other nick with cocktails.

And just how much work do you get done in your RL work?