View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, firstly, here's my take on the rep system:

I think it is meant for newer people to see who is and who is not a quality poster here on the forums. Because after a while you anyway form your own opinion and decide who is for you a quality poster and who is not. Also, with red reps you can see who you should maybe stay away from.

With everyone spreading rep around nothing will really change, the distibution will probably be similar, say with many people here repping some of the current top rep members for their continous great posting and fewer people repping people who don't do that much or great stuff according to the general opinion.

Meaning that by spreading love, Lommy, the only thing I expect to change is that you will have six green dots and I will have two. It will all just proportionatly go up, I see no reason for anything else.

So in the end, the quality poster recognitions will remain the same in here, the differences between posters as well, only the reasons for repping will no longer be as "serious" and some will no longer wait for something special so as to rep.

Anyway, since repping people is not and cannot ever be standardized you cannot really say that the rep levels represent the general opinion here on the BD, but just an approximate.

So as to sum up all this:

1. By spreading more love overall nothing will really change.

2. New members will always see by the reps who is a good poster and who is not.

3. Members who "fight" for rep and take pleasure from surpassing someone in rep levels have in my opinion misunderstood the point of it all. It's not about being better methinks.

4. Even if people still so to speak "fight" for rep, it won't change anything about the system, because bad posters won't receive anything no matter how much they rep in return.