View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #348
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
‘Well, isn’t that something! He’s gone and done the dishes.’ She took off the towel and inspected them with a critical eye. ‘And not a chip or crack to be seen!’

Rowan had gone into the kitchen just after the scruffy fellow, Jack, had come out. She supposed it wasn’t fair of her to call him ‘the scruffy fellow’, but that’s how he’d been when she’d first met him. And somehow that image was stuck in her mind. That and the fact that she and Meliot had snooped about in his room and some of the things they’d seen . . . no make that what Meliot had seen . . . looked a bit . . . well, suspicious.

Still, here he’d gone and done up the dishes. She knew there’d been a fair stack of them since both Prim and Will were hurt and unable to help. And she had figured she’d be up to the wee hours with Cook trying to set the kitchen in order.

‘Maybe I should just revise my opinion of the fellow a bit. Just a wee bit . . . there is the map to consider. And that jewelry found in his tattered pockets. But now we won’t have the dishes to do, at least.’

Rowan fetched the broom from the corner and started sweeping the floor. The slops bucket would need emptying, she thought, as she swept near it. ‘I’ll empty it just before I go to my room. And check to see if the hens are locked in.’ She gave a yawn, then bent back to her sweeping.