View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 AM   #215
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Now had it been yesterday, Will would have had no problem inviting Prim in to share an apple. But somehow, since this morning, his ordinary, dependable, routine life had gone slightly askew. He found himself quite tongue-tied and somehow the area under his collar had grown quite hot.

We…we’d be alone in there! And have mercy! Wasn’t she standing there looking at him, her eyes all twinkly. Were they twinkly before and he hadn’t noticed? He couldn’t remember.

Will managed somehow to unstick his tongue from the roof of his mouth and squeaked out, ‘Company?’ He brought his fist to his mouth and coughed, trying to regain some semblance of composure.

‘Company, yes...that would be nice,’ he managed. ‘But, you know,’ he went on, ‘the floor in the stable’s pretty uneven, and I wouldn’t want you to fall again.’ He touched her lightly on the elbow, saying, ‘May I?’ offering support. ‘Why don’t we go on into the kitchen? I didn’t get any of the stew.’ ‘And,’ he grinned at Prim, his hunger lending him confidence, ‘I’d sure like a few more of the mushrooms Cela fried.’

He paused for a moment – the thought suddenly striking him that perhaps she might have her own druthers about where she wanted to have her meal.

‘Or…we could just go into the common room. See who’s there. What do you think?’