View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
A bit off topic, but who were Sauron's generals during that war? Was the Nazgul already in his service and what kinda state they were in if yes? And could it be possible that a easterling or haradrim warlords lead Sauron's orc army as well?
Definitely not the Nazgul - Sauron's invasion of Eregion is when he took the Nine Rings that he used to create them! It would be another five hundred years before they first put in an appearance.

Tolkien Gateway gives this description of Sauron's preparations for the war:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG: Sauron
In this time Sauron constructed the Black Gate of Mordor to prevent invasion; and raised massive armies of Orcs, Trolls, and Men, chiefly Easterlings and Southrons whom he dominated as a king and god. He had them make many fortified towns and armed those under him with iron.
We know that Orcs served as captains (I think this is the highest rank Tolkien ever uses to describe war-leaders, besides some oddities like Marshal of the Mark) under Morgoth, and we know that Sauron's forces in the War of the Ring operated as discrete units (ie, the Haradrim didn't fight alongside the Orcs, but showed up separately). Given that Sauron was present and in command, I think we can assume segregated armies, each with their own leaders who Sauron ordered around as he saw fit.

Not sure whether that would include an army of trolls - I've always pictured them more as solo warriors, or maybe living siege weapons. It's also worth noting that "mostly" on the Mannish armies - Sauron may also have drawn on the ancestors of the Dunlendings, who were at least partially under his shadow.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote