View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry

At Notre Dame Cathedral I saw plaques commemorating the sacrifice of soldiers from both Newfoundland and Canada for World War I and World War II. I couldn't find anything at St. Paul's about any Canadian contributions, but there is a huge memorial to the American participation, which to me was bitterly ironic as the Americans were last in, so to speak (although this memorial is I think more for WWII). Canada was automatically included with Briain's declaration of war

I watched the televised services with my dad (who served in WW2, for some of the time attached to the Vandoos who he credits with turning him into a proper soldier) - and he made sure I knew about the Canadians
(New Foundanders especially) . I am afraid the lack of recogniton then is proabably a legacy of colonialism but there is a memorial to the Canadian Soldiers who were stationed in the New Forest (where I live) in WW2 and the only immaculate part of the churchyard at Brockenhurst is the anzac section and special services are held each year for them. We don't forget them though neitherplace is as grand as St Pauls.

Mark this might help. Hemlock is Anglo saxon for border plant - and it isn't so bad. Very English.....

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/h/hemloc18.html

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote