View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 02:16 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

The door of The Seventh Star flew open boisterously, the autumnal wind driving a flurry of leaves and moisture inside. All heads turned, startled by the appearance of a cloaked figure storming into the room. With an impatient movement, the hood was thrown back, revealing dark, tousled curls glistening with droplets. A female face showed agitation; restless eyes roamed the room, looking for something or someone.

Her eyes found the Innkeeper in the same instant as he took a step in her direction. Hurriedly, she strove toward him, stretching out both hands to greet him with a firm clasp. Urgent whispers caused the other guests to listen, yet they could not discern what was being said.

Rimbaud turned to speak to the visitors standing by the fireplace; they had ceased even the appearance of conversation and waited with bated breath. “Here has come Estelyn, of the House of Telcontar,” he announced, “bringing a tale most astonishing to our ears. Pray tell the assembled company of your discovery.”

“I come in haste,” said she, “for I travel on as soon as I have gathered supplies for my journey. Yet I may as well speak of my errand; what little I know will not delay me much.

“I have received news of ancient manuscripts that have been found. Long did they lie hidden, and once revealed, were long in the hands of scholars learned in the lore and language of the Onodrim.”

“Onodrim?” a guest murmured. “What is that?”

“Shht!” another reprimanded. “Have you never heard of the Ents, Tree-Shepherds of Fangorn? I would hear this tale!”

Estelyn continued, “Few there are who are able to translate this language; long are the words and difficult to transcribe into our tongue, yet what has been done tells of atrocity such as is hither unknown in Middle-Earth, and of great heroism. Know that in ancient days a band of orcs did hew an Ent for the use of its living wood.”

The gasps of shocked listeners were heard; involuntarily, they drew closer to each other and to the warming fire.

“The orcs found that this wood had the strength of oak and the suppleness of willow branches, being light to carry and certain in the aim of an accomplished archer. They made bows of it, using them for their fell purposes. It can only be imagined what torment it must have been to the Entish bows, forced to subdue themselves to such evil work. Yet one escaped by the hand of a brave and beautiful Elven maiden. The manuscript tells its story.

“I hasten now to take into my hands this writing, that it might be stored in the library of Minas Anor, where all who wish may read it. I hope to return, though I know not how soon, and will then most certainly know more of this tale.”

Agitated whispers arose among the assembled guests as she turned to the Innkeeper and said, “Now, friend Rimbaud, help me to collect supplies, that I may continue my journey, for I am eager to reach the halls of those scholars who have transcribed this story.” With these words, both strode to the store rooms.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'