View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #186
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigel
Nor should there be a reason to deny a higher power. Except the absense of humility. Or, instead of asking: "..... from whose head did our primary spring from?", I should have asked "From whose loins did our primary spring from?" Higher Mind is misleading and not what I was striving for there. Power would be more apt.

Dont get me wrong, im just suggesting here.
I wouldn't deny the possibility, but I don't think 'belief' helps there. You can believe in any kind of 'higher power'. I think its dangerous to stray into the area of 'intelligent design' without more support than the 'God of the gaps'. I can't explain how the primary world came to be, but I don't think that's sufficient justification for positing a Creator.

Quote:
Or quite possibly a touch of something of a higher nature than yourself. Your "labels" might be substandard in describing the context of what you experienced.

They might well. The danger is that you construct (or adopt) a very convoluted 'belief' in a 'God' to account for your experience. Just because you experience something doesn't mean you can explain it accurately. I & a man living 1,000 years ago both experienced seeing the sun on the eastern horizon at dawn, at different places in the sky throughout the day & on the western horizon at evening, but we interpret the experience in different ways. For him the Sun moved around a stationary earth, for me its the opposite. All I know is what I actually experience.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote