View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #62
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dűm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
I don't think Mandos was necessarily deciding their fates here, rather than stating two facts in his interaction with Ulmo. Half-elves are mortals.

If one believes in the rumor in Dol Amroth, than Galador too was a half-Elf. The only difference between him and the others who were granted it, he was not given a choice to choose his Doom. Galador was mortal.

Dior was indeed referred to as an Elf in his title, but if one were to take The Laws and Customs of the Eldar as true than he certainly did not grow up like an Elf.
No I agree that Mandos was not deciding their fates, but stating two facts. My argument was that this was such a grave matter that only Manwe had the right to make the decision. So there was little chance of Mandos making a ruling without first talking to Manwe.

Personally I don't believe in the rumours of the Dol Amroth, but even if we accept the rumours to be true, it's a different situation than Dior. Galdor was born amongst men and grew up with men. Dior on the other hand had lived nearly his entire life with Elves and even ruled Elves. He would later marry an elf and just as importantly Dior's life happened before there was an official ruling. Any intermarriage after the ruling would know what they were getting into.

Dior was only referred to as an Elf, back when Beren was one of the Gnomes, but once Beren was changed to a Man, Dior later refers to himself as the first of the Peredhil.

“Dior their son, it is said, spoke both tongues: his father’s, and his mother’s, the Sindarin of Doriath. For he said: “I am the first of the Peredhil (Half-elven); but I am also the heir of King Elwë, the Eluchil.””

Dior like Earendil and all the other Halfelven grew up at a rate similar to humans if we are to accept the ages given in Laws of Customs.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote