View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #60
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
The issue with Earendil was not merely that he was half-elven, but that he had set foot in the West. That was what precipitated the discussion (as well as a ban on his return to Middle-earth).* One thing that can be learned about Dior indirectly from the Earendil case is that E was a case of first impression- plainly the Valar had not considered the issue before, which means that there had been no issue raised when Dior died.

Mandos apparently got to make the call himself- his Halls, his rules. I'm pretty sure he ruled "mortal"-- especially since, as mentioned above, both Dior's parents were mortals at the time he was born. Tough luck for Nimloth I guess. (More problematical would be the postmortem fate of Elured and Elurin).

-------------------------------

*I'm not aware that there was any ban on returned or revived Elves recrossing the Great Sea, at least during the Second Age. Even if we take the case of Glorfindel as exceptional, we know that Elves of Eressea sailed at least as far as Numenor.
On such a great matter as the fate of one of the Children of Illuvatar Mandos is not able to make the call. In fact Manwe specifically says the decision is his alone.

We have no proof either way, but we can give arguments for both sides.

I don't personally see the Valar saying tough luck to Nimloth, about a matter which was not decided and could have been argued either way. If in the case of Tuor who was raised by Elves Illuvatar was prepared to change his fate then I don't see why Dior would not get the same grace. Even more so since he was descendant from a Maiar.

Further more Dior's marriage is never counted as marriage between an Elf and a mortal.

Last edited by cellurdur; 04-20-2016 at 03:10 PM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote