View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 02:07 AM   #53
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Andy has the right of it. The Choice did not exist until the problem of Earendil and Elwing arose, and it took a special ruling by Eru.* Before that time - i.e. during Dior's lifetime - the Mandos Rule was in effect: any descendant of a Man was a Man.

And, as mentioned above, Luthien had become human before Dior was born anyway. The same situation** would apply to Eldarion in the Fourth Age.

----------------------

*Even then it applied only to them and their descendants, not all half-elves.
**with a couple of technical differences
I disagree with this. Prior to Earendil and Elwing there was no ruling at all and hence why the question was raised about whether Earendil was one of the Noldor or one of the Edain. It's at this point that a decision is made, which states everyone with human blood is then mortal UNLESS given special ruling.

So it seems no decision had yet been made for Dior and his sons or they would have used this as a precedent in the case of Earendil.

If Tuor was allowed to become immortal and live with the elves, then I think it is possible that Dior and his sons would be granted the same chance. Dior only ever lived with Elves, married an elf and was the king of Elves.

Just one extra point, but Luthien never became human, but became mortal.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote