View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #111
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Bio

Hey everyone, I've finished by bio. This is my first RPG, so my bio probably isn't as great as Amanaduial's and others'. So, here it is, tell me what you think.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Nope. This will be my first.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES/NO - Yes, I have.

Alcarillo's character

NAME: Cainenyo Nession

RACE: Elf of Eregion

WEAPONS: Cainenyo uses an antique sword inherited from his father, who was a guard of one of Gondolin’s gates. Named Angereg, it is slightly curved and has a blue leather binding on its long hilt. Cainenyo also has a hunting bow made of yew. He normally hunts animals with it, but it is strong enough to kill orcs. He has no formal weapons training, but hunts regularly. Cainenyo feels that he is ready to fight if he must.

As for armor, Cainenyo usually wears a very polished breastplate, very polished vambraces, and very polished greaves, all of steel, and all made by himself. (Cainenyo is a blacksmith) Underneath it all he wears chain-mail, which extends down to his knees. On his head he wears a helmet with a green plume.

APPEARANCE: Cainenyo is tall, about six feet and two inches, and very strong, having worked at an anvil for most of his life. His hair is dark brown, and extends down to his shoulders in long locks. His eyes are steel grey, like the metals he works with. As for his garb Cainenyo likes to wear dark green, usually embroidered with elegant designs about the edges, and when working he wears a leather apron and gloves. During cooler weather Cainenyo likes to wear a long grey cloak, fastened with a dwarven brooch.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Cainenyo has a friendly, pleasant and open personality, and does not like to become angry at people. He is a loving husband and father, and would die for his family if needed. This love can turn to worry in troublesome times, and he can be over-protective.

In his business, Cainenyo likes to learn from others’ mistakes, which has helped elevate him to the status of an expert blacksmith. As for his own mistakes, Cainenyo often tries to hide them, and sometimes feels angry at himself for failing. He sees mistakes as failures at his expertise in smithy-work. When Cainenyo is saddened or angered he sees his wife, who consoles him and soothes his troubles. Sometimes Cainenyo can be suspicious of others, and often relies on mere intuition. This can make him unreliable when advice is needed.

He does not like to interfere in the affairs of the mighty and important. He just wants to lead a happy life and go on as a blacksmith.

HISTORY: Cainenyo was born in FA 511, right after the Fall of Gondolin. His father was a guard of Gondolin’s Gate of Writhen Iron and his mother was a seamstress. The entire family survived the destruction of the city and lived until the end of the age at the Havens of Sirion. It was during this time that Cainenyo learned most of his skills in smithy-work from Angandil, a survivor of Gondolin’s destruction who moved to Tol Eressea at the end of the age, and many lore-books his parents saved from Gondolin. Cainenyo’s love for metals was first in his heart until he met Alassante, a beautiful elf-maiden whose parents had both survived Gondolin. They fell in love and married. They were thinking of children when the War of Wrath occurred, postponing any plans of a family.

At the beginning of the Second Age they fled to Lindon, which Cainenyo’s family chose as their new home, but ships and the sea did not interest Cainenyo, so he and Alassante decided to follow Celebrimbor to Eregion, attracted by the knowledge of the dwarves and the many opportunities for a new life. Cainenyo has met many dwarves while living in Ost-in-Edhil, and learned much from them. His business as a blacksmith grew, and Cainenyo is considered one of the foremost experts in working with iron. Cainenyo’s son, Arenwino, was born in SA 1598, and is apprenticed to a silversmith across town. Cainenyo has already taught two apprentices, now on their own, and now he mostly makes iron trellises, candelabras, and other things to embellish the home. Lately though, he has been asked to make many swords and armor. Cainenyo has made a sword for his son. Alassante is currently pregnant with her second child, who she and Cainenyo hope to be a girl.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alcarillo's post

Cainenyo’s hammer struck a glowing rod of iron, casting sparks across his forge. He was as happy as could be while working; there was little he loved more than to create something usable out of what previously wasn’t. Cainenyo turned the long rod of iron over with tongs, and struck it some more, creating a shower of sparks. He plunged the rod in a bucket of water, throwing steam up into the air. After heating the rod to a warm glow in the furnace, set into the wall and where he heated his iron to make it malleable, he resumed striking the iron on the anvil, gradually forming a distinguishable shape out of it.

Cainenyo’s forge was open to the streets of Ost-in-Edhil, separated by only a few arches and two steps downwards. People could come and go as they pleased, purchasing wares and asking for specific items to be made. The forge itself was focused around the anvil, like the centerpiece of a table set for a feast. Cainenyo’s wares were spread about his forge. They lay displayed on tables and hanging to the walls, examples of the blacksmith’s skill. Cainenyo made things to beautify or serve a purpose in the home: trellises, small slender tables, candelabras, braziers, and elegant grills to cap drainage pipes. But Cainenyo could also make knives, swords, armor, arrowheads, spearheads, and other less domestic goods. Cainenyo, as an expert in iron, was not limited to what he could make.

Cainenyo continued to beat his rod of iron, manipulating it with heavy black tongs and crafting it into a delicate shape, resembling a long blade of grass. He was creating a knife, one to be used in self-defense against an attacker. He plunged it into his bucket of water and held it firmly in his hand, swinging it about for a moment and testing it against an imaginary orc. Cainenyo found the knife to be suitable, and placed it in an old chest near the furnace. He would perform the finishing touches tomorrow. The sun was beginning to set and he decided to finish for the day and enter the house to see his wife, Alassante.

Cainenyo wiped his gloves on his leather apron. Removing the gloves, he noticed a tall figure standing in one of the archways. It was his son, Arenwino, who was apprenticed to a silver-smith across the city. Arenwino was not quite as tall as his father, but more slender, with the wavy dark hair of his mother. He wore the gloves and apron of a silversmilth, and hoped to work with the Mírdain when his apprenticeship was finished.

“You’re back. How did today go?” Cainenyo asked his son.

“It was fine. Today Celebdur taught me more about making molds and such. We made some rings for an engaged couple.” Arenwino said, descending the steps into the forge. He looked about the strewn instruments and noticed the flaming furnace and asked, “Were you making something?”

“Yes, a knife.” Cainenyo answered, “There have been a lot more requests for weaponry these days.” He continued after a short pause, “That reminds me. I have a gift for you.”

Arenwino waited in anticipation as Cainenyo moved to a table to the side of his anvil. There he delicately picked up a long sword. Arenwino stood closer, gazing at the long, curved blade. The flames of the furnace danced on its smooth surface. It was handed to Arenwino, who held it admiringly.

“Thank you, Father,” he spoke, “But what is the occasion? I don’t deserve a sword like this one.”

“Well, there is no occasion, as of now,” Cainenyo answered, “But there may be. I hear of orcs harassing the edges of Eregion, and I don’t want my son to be caught without defense if he happens to be traveling abroad and is ambushed. And besides, who knows how far the orcs might come. What if they attack the city?”

“But surely they won’t. We have soldiers aplenty, and why would they attack Ost-in-Edhil?”

Cainenyo picked up the bucket of water. “Well, I’ve heard that that Annatar, who helped Celebrimbor create those rings, has turned against him. He’s sending orcs against us, or so I’ve heard from the refugees entering the city each day.” He doused the flames of the furnace, sending steam everywhere.

“Will you be asked to fight?” Arenwino looked concerned. The sun was now setting.

“I doubt that. I’m more useful staying here and making weapons and armor than going off to battle. But don’t worry. If I am asked to fight I’ve already made armor for myself and I have a sword. It’s getting late; let’s go inside.”

Cainenyo hung his apron on a peg by the door that led into his home and put away what tools were left laying about. They entered the home’s courtyard through an arched doorway. The courtyard was a small space mostly taken up by a square pool for collecting rainwater and a few bushes of fragrant flowers. They were greeted by Alassante, Cainenyo’s wife and Arenwino’s mother. She was pregnant, and the new child was due in four more months. Alassante’s wavy brown hair fluttered in a slight breeze coming through the open doorway. She wore a light, simple dress, comfortable and loose. She kissed both her son and husband, and led them towards the entrance to the house.

Then Alassante noticed the sword in Arenwino’s hands. “Where did you get that?” she asked.

“Father gave it to me,” said Arenwino, “He told me that orcs were crawling all over the edges of Eregion, and that refugees are coming to the city. He said that the orcs might come here, too, and that I shouldn’t be unarmed. Isn’t that true, Father?”

“It’s certainly a possibility,” Cainenyo said, and his wife frowned at him as they entered the house. Arenwino smiled, despite the future’s uncertainty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just setting your post up for transfer to the game thread. ~*~ Pio

Last edited by Alcarillo; 07-08-2005 at 10:55 PM.