View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #87
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Firefoot makes a valid point - this would be rather unfortunate. No matter which of Durelin's two methods we use, the baddies are going to have a period of 'dormancy' at the beginning. However, I do much prefer the second idea:

Quote:
we will spend about a month and a half (RL time) in 1695, and then jump to 1697. That jump would not land us in the battle immediately, but then there would be only a week or two (RL time) until the battle (unless of course we wanted to spend longer on the battle).
This idea has worked well in other RPGs (e.g. Shadow of the West), and is I think much preferable to the first suggestion, which could threaten to break the game up to be maybe a little too patchwork; plus, as a rush through time, it would probably end up concentrating solely on events and skimping on character interaction and development of characters and relationships, which would rather defeat the point of RPGing. Plus, as Durelin pointed out, it wouldn't half get confusing! I would therefore go for the second idea, certainly.

As to the answer to the big question, the ultimate question, the question that has indeed been plaguing generations of RPGers since the days of Ye Olde Freestyle Roome: heck, more battle! Yeah, I would say more rather than less battle - but maybe that's just me being trigger happy. Battle is always fun to play, and in this game, spending a larger proportion of time on the battle would mean the baddies were able to play in a larger proportion of the game, meaning no players are left scuffing their toes on the sidelines, so to speak. On the other hand, there are certainly more events happening before the actual battle begins, and as there are some non-fighting characters (*cough*Narisiel!*cough), having less battle is still certainly an option. The events before the battle could allow more character development and give the game more span and variety. So maybe this would be better.

Looking at the options, I'm happy either way I suppose - but maybe I would lean a little more towards 'less battle', for the reasons specified above. Thoughts of one and all?