View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #534
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
So I was just going to PM you (and will do so on a different note), but then I listened and... it's incredible. I love this song. XD And I had to say so here.
I really did not appreciate this song enough until I got to scoring Beren's part. It is definitely another one that I love more for the making. I am glad you like it too, I was preposterously pleased with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
It gave me proper chills listening to the Lay quotes - I know we agonised over whether to go off-script enough to include them, but I think they were a perfect decision. Absolutely perfect. (I may try a few alternates for "I no purpose have", though; that's clunky.)
Agreed. The agony is long gone. Beren is just right, and the direct canon reference is a bonus.

...Out of interest, I looked up the Russian Sil translation to see what that song is like there. The last line ("so that for one brief moment") is as direct as quotes can be, it just replaced "Luthien" with "you". I mean, the whole thing is one giant reference, but it's sort of nice to know they were trying to quote too. ...Actually, hmm, interesting. So, like there are many translations of LOTR, there are several of The Sil. I've been selectively looking at Farewell Sweet Earth and He Chanted A Song Of Wizardry. Some translations are really good, and some are really bad. But one of them is almost definitely quoted in the Russian Zong. I wonder how many direct quotes I've missed because I didn't fancy the Russian Sil translation nearly as much as LOTR, and don't remember what anything sounded like there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Oh, what? That's rotten. :-/ Looks like it's properly down, too, not just glitchy.
To quote something very much on theme -
Though all to ruin fell the world
And were dissolved, and backwards hurled
Unmade into the old abyss -
Yet were its making good, for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
There's about an hour between that sentence and this one, in which I've gone, grabbed Wind, and cleaned up the whole Libretto With Chords grab. This version has a table of contents! It kind of breaks if you hit the English translation button, but that's fine. (The HTML is like some kind of Lovecraftian nightmare realm; I don't even know what it's doing, but it seems to work.) I've popped the link into the English Libretto too so we can keep track of it.
You are amazing, you know.