View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #526
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Lol. I loved the "you've got the Canon right now". And I love the translation! Do you have a full English version?
Sadly no; it took me long enough to cobble together the few lines he translates. I am not Maglor, despite any evidence to the contrary.

Quote:
I am still processing this information. It's having trouble fitting in among my current world constructs.

I mean, sure, Curufin the Jerk couldn't have been the only son of Feanor to find a wife. But there is literally no indication in the Sil that the others had any romantic relationships at all in their lives, and I am so unused to the idea.
Ditto; I quietly ignore it mostly. But with NoME and all, I am kind of tempted towards putting together a "Late Tolkien Aman" fanfic - all the names, all the marriages and dates, the Dome of Varda and everything... it'd be gloriously weird.

Quote:
No, you've just managed to get the literal translation, as opposed to the verse one. This is what the Quenya means, but not what is sung in the second section. Here are the sung lyrics:
Aiya Earendil... thank you for that, I'll update my story at some point. I don't think it'll have any impact plot-wise, so no problems there.

Quote:
However, regarding nen/men, all the sites where I've found the lyrics have "men". I feel like it's probably been typed once incorrectly and then copied everywhere without spellcheck.
I want a Quenya spellcheck now. But yes, probably. I feel like a lot of song lyrics get that treatment.

Quote:
I actually wondered if she was perhaps Teleri, killed at the Kinslaying, when still trying to reconcile the fleeting smoke on the wind imagery with the Quenya where she is not mortal. But this is all rubbish. Yes, OMG, how did Maglor not get disowned?
SECRET WIFE. Maglor is clearly who Tolkien was on about in LaCE when he talks about just sneaking off into the woods and getting hitched. Golden-hand meets golden-hair under the light of Laurelin...

Quote:
I agree. Surely it's referring to Maedhros and Fingon, because... What story did Maglor ever have that could possibly involve Eagles?
Perhaps it's "the story of Maglor" because it's about his catastrophic term as High King, and how Manwe's Eagles had to rescue his brother just to put an end to it.

Quote:
PS: Does Russian really sound like the Black Speech?
Pffft, ignore Dafydd, he's super racist. (He isn't - he's just super Feanorian-ist despite not getting on with his family. He doesn't /like/ them, but he still knows they're better than everyone else.)

hS