View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #261
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
O.O I've gone ahead and added this to Appendix C ("Much Ado About Nargothrond"), because frankly it deserves to be there.
Does that mean we need a rhyming translation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Still, it's nice to imagine a world where Thingol doesn't Steal the Mic.
Yeah... If only so much of the play didn't hang on that moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
"fun"
I totally get that. After I finished Wind, I had this thought that as I am probably getting better at this accompaniment stuff, after I work through all the pieces (ha!) it would be "fun" to do a Take 2 of the Duel. Then better sense took over, I listened to the Duel again and decided it sounds perfectly fine, and incautious thoughts like these should not be allowed to fly around so freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I've steadfastly maintained the split from the Libretto between Beren's Coming and Appeal, but I'm not convinced it holds up musically. The 2006 performance has Beren sing exactly the same tune for 'Is this not the wonderous Nargothrond?' and 'I beseech you, lend me your aid, my king'. If you think it's useful to have them separate, cool, but as a non-musician I think they're the same song.
I was very surprised to see them as different songs in the Libretto. I thought they were the same song, and translated them thinking it's the same song. Beren's melody is exactly the same (and the Elves I believe match Finrod's ABAB in the Duel). I do not think it's useful to keep them separate at all. For the text it doesn't matter, but for the singing they should definitely be together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
(In contrast, I reckon the four lines that link the Mic Theft to the Aria should stay with the Mic Theft, because they endcap that song. Moving them to the Aria means letting Thingol's actions go unchallenged in the song itself.)
This is one of those instances where I'm not sure how many "sections" or "numbers" there truly are hidden in those two songs. It sounds like 4 (Quarrel, Mic Theft, Melian's 4 lines, Aria), but it also flows all together as one. It feels wrong to fully separate Melian's part, but I also get what you're saying. I wonder if this can be done as a combined piece to even avoid that question for video purposes.

The other place where I get this feeling of "this is a single long evolving piece" is with Bloodzining/Hate. I hear it as 4 sections that are all inseparably connected: the Zoning, the "she's mad / I'm mad", Hate, and What Madness Have I Done. In my mind this part also just flows together directly, but it's easier to separate than the Aria is.

EDIT: An update on where Captivity stands - I experimented with the choir sections and edited them to my liking. The music is now ready. It's the same length and speed, just minor details changed. I am waiting for a non-hoarse-after-work day to do a proper recording though, and I am waiting for Elanor to send me her part as well.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 09-16-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote