View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #260
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Oh, and the garden play ends with Melian eloping with Sauron (or possibly Morgoth?).
O.O I've gone ahead and added this to Appendix C ("Much Ado About Nargothrond"), because frankly it deserves to be there.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think that's doable without a major re-write of the musical.
I know, I know. The Aria works as a direct follow-on to the Duet if you drop a hard cut right after Thingol name-drops the Silmarils, and go straight to Melian with "Sold your only daughter for a Silmaril" etc, but it means that the play would take two long digressions from Beren and Finrod, which is definitely not workable.

Still, it's nice to imagine a world where Thingol doesn't Steal the Mic.

Quote:
EDIT: glancing briefly at some of the other stuff you've linked - some of these might be good for musical inspiration and reference. For instance, I overall like Showdown best of all in V2, but there are some with quite good acting, and the 2018 concert has a very musically clear Sauron who will be much easier to copy when the time comes.
This was my thought too. It might be fun ("fun") to pull together images of all the versions of each character and see which one, or combination of ones, looks best. As I've said before, Amarie is fixed in stone unless I get really bored, but everyone else can be reworked.

I'm currently assembling a list of links at the start of each set of lyrics, so that all the versions are easily findable. Which brings me on to:

I've steadfastly maintained the split from the Libretto between Beren's Coming and Appeal, but I'm not convinced it holds up musically. The 2006 performance has Beren sing exactly the same tune for 'Is this not the wonderous Nargothrond?' and 'I beseech you, lend me your aid, my king'. If you think it's useful to have them separate, cool, but as a non-musician I think they're the same song.

(In contrast, I reckon the four lines that link the Mic Theft to the Aria should stay with the Mic Theft, because they endcap that song. Moving them to the Aria means letting Thingol's actions go unchallenged in the song itself.)

Quote:
Also, I've seen the 2006 outdoor performance before, and I recommend it for the goofs. It's meant for people who already know the play and will get the inside jokes. The actors are having fun with it. Also, it has V1 Finrod where we can see his acting in Truth - though musically I prefer the V1 recording, I am not a fan of the metal version and I think he sings better there.
I remember! I went back and used your collection of versions before I went hunting myself.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote