View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #236
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
By the way, for future reference, does it help to mark a count of four before the start of a new part to help line up the recording? I meant to make a mention of that in the previous post but it slipped my mind.
In this case I lined you up on the strong beats in... somewhere around 'brother tall', I think? It really stood out, so it was easy to synch. The trouble with Melian was that she's so relaxed about everything that there are no big strong notes to synch with.

Quote:
Another question for future reference - is there a way to change the volume individually on the pieces of music you gather together? I feel that whenever I record the instrumentals, they sound very quiet, and I always have to up the volume on my computer to listen to it properly. And every time I don't really notice it until the voice then comes along quite louder than expected for the volume of music. It might be a fault in my computer, because the music is quiet even without the added voice, I just compensate for it better. Is there any way to make it louder on my end, do you think? I tried recording with a different volume output set on my computer, but it made no difference.
Uh-oh. So yes, I have arbitrary levels of control over the volume of each part, and indeed each part of a part. I routinely drop the vocals by 3 decibels, to keep them from pushing too high. I do try to get them balanced properly... apparently I'm not doing a great job of that.

Okay, this is Audacity's plot of the lament instrumental (top 2 lines) and your vocals (third line). My vocals are of similar volume to yours (you can spot my lines by the gaps). Vertical scale is volume, set to the version on Youtube. Probably the easiest way to sort this is: which part of the instrumental did you intend to be at equal volume to the vocals?

Quote:
Ok, finished a rough sketch. Figuring out the key change really helped. I am not sure about the fast notes in the refrain, but fortunately those can be sung and not played, so I might avoid making a mess of them.
Hurrah! I can sing all of this except the first line (and a half, I guess) of the chorus, which are the lines that don't match up with the Russian version anyway. ^_^

Quote:
I will pause for a pitch test. It would be easy for me to shift everything down now, before I begin the real thing, to match Amarie's pitch. Can you please ask Celebestel how far she would like the shift to go so that she is in a comfortable range?
She tells me it would be most comfortable pushed a tone(/step) or two higher.

hS
Huinesoron is online now   Reply With Quote