View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #189
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I like it! It was tricky to get the start of Sauron's second verse at first, but I think I've hit it in this.

Oh, in what? In this, naturally. ^_^ A complete re-recording, with no processing on Sauron at all. If there are specific Finrod lines that worked better in the previous version, I can splice them in no problem.
!!! That's amazing! I love it! I love the contrast between Sauron and Finrod. Sauron's first lines are tricky. I can't hear them (hence I don't really have a background melody for either of them, just chords). I feel like he can just half-"talk" rather than sing the first lines. But yours sounded just right. In fact, I think this take is very much in tune, with both Sauron and Finrod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Yeah, it's not the simplest. I'm not sure what is... the Coming to Nargothrond is at least short, right?
In my mind it's linked with Beren and Finrod's following duet though, I don't know if it's better to record them separately or as a single piece. Another shorter piece is the Minions, but I don't think it's wise for me to do too much Sauron at once.

I feel like Heart could be super simple or super complex and everything in between, depending on the style and whether it's a duet or solo. It could be anything from piano+clarinet to an entire wind orchestra and no piano. It's a bit, hmm, Caribbean or something in V2. I would not be able to replicate that to the same extent, but I could keep some of the jazziness/danciness or I could make it more classical. Then, if Finrod and Amarie both sing, unless it's a simple variety of a classical accompaniment, they would probably need different stuff for their lines, which means fewer shortcuts with shameless copy/pasting and therefore not a quick piece, though a more interesting one. I am just not used to thinking of this song as a duet musically, it will need some experimentation.

Renunciation of Nargothrond can be decent. I can hear it with just piano+trumpet, and it would probably tolerate a fair amount of copy/pasting without making each stanza unique.

Prison Duet would also be simple instrument-wise. So would anything, really, if I don't go too crazy with it. Camp. Ballad to Amarie. Dream. Melian's aria is simple if I keep it in one key and don't do the key changes, but the changes only complicate it as far as having to manually correct each pitch (the program doesn't allow key changes mid-piece) - and singing it afterwards. Then there are pieces like Meeting of B&L, which sound complex but may actually be easy to score if I don't go too crazy. Or the Oath. Or Galadriel's Intro.

So basically I just listed half the musical and would probably list the other half if I went on. The trick is to not let my imagination get the better of my common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I've sung 'the', but I wonder about 'Your'. It gives a stronger opening to the line, and foreshadows Luthien's twisting of Sauron's lines back on him ("One... who can wield power in this world").
I haven't even thought of that. I was only imagining the various Noldor-related curses and Feanor's words about glorious deeds living on in dear-bought songs. This is a more direct angle.