View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #22
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
At the very end of the next chapter is the hint that maybe Anduril was simply kept sheathed:

Quote:
Then he drew Anduril and held it up glittering in the sun. 'You shall not be sheathed again until the last battle is fought,' he said.
If so, then that was a wise move on the part of Aragorn. The tales quickly spread around Minas Tirith that 'the king' had returned after he had been into the Houses of Healing; previous to this, it was more diplomatic to keep such a highly symbolic item as Anduril hidden. He literally kept his Kingship under cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
One of the things that I wondered about most the first time I read this chapter is this glaring difference in Éowyn's healing from that of Faramir's and Merry's: Aragorn left before she woke up, and instead of calling her himself he passes the task to Éomer. What could be the possible reason behind this? Was he afraid that her feelings for him would be rekindled, in fact be even stronger, seeing that she is indebted to him for her life? Or did he just think that Éomer is more appropriate for the task, what with him fearing that his sister was dead and all?
I've thought of that one myself, as it did seem to stick out as rather odd behaviour on Aragorn's part. But thinking about it, his behaviour here seems very noble and indeed, caring. He realises that he was the catalyst for Eowyn seeking to go to war and even reveals a little of his feelings on the matter. If he had been there when she woke then this might have appeared to Eowyn to be a 'sign' of something other than simple caring for a fallen comrade. Whether or not she actually would think that we cannot say, but Aragorn clearly sees that there is this risk.