View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 AM   #244
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ayar makes a final request to Ráma.....

Ayar smiled gently and stroked her daughter's curls to try and reassure her that things would be alright. Miri and Claris had also returned with Yalisha; the three were standing at the entrance to the tent. Beckoning them in with a gesture of her hand, Ayar added, "Good, you have finished your errands. Draw near to hear what I say. For Ráma may need a witness to stand before the Elders and swear her words are true. I fear some will not care to hear such things."

Ayar stared solemnly at the familiar figures who now stood before her. One a child of a dear friend, another a loyal grey-haired servant, along with the two gifted if impetuous young women who were among the most adventurous in the clan. The Eagles would need the talents of all four, and many others as well, if they were to survive the threat that was about to descend on their heads.

Ayar looked directly at Ráma and began, "Much blame lies on my head. I ask your forgiveness. I saw the danger coming, yet I deceived myself into thinking it would go away. It has not gone away, and we can not wait any longer. Wyrma and her kind desire only one thing: to destroy the life our people lead and to chase after a hollow dream of power and wealth, of dominion over others."

It was Ráma who interrupted. "Mother, you've done nothing wrong. You have kept the Eagles safe and even spoken out for other clans who were too afraid to say their mind."

The older woman shook her head. "I did too little. Long ago, I should have stood up and said 'no more'. We should have taken a stand, even if it meant bloodshed, rather than running off by ourselves into the desert. But now I finally understand. Freedom for our own clan means nothing, if all the other maenwaith become enslaved. I only wish I was here to share the burden with you for the path will not be easy."

With a heavy sigh Ayar reflected, "Times were so hard during the war. I thought when the Dark Shadow was defeated that we would all be free. Perhaps, there would be time to go back to the old ways, to remember things that even the Eagles had forgotten. With the coming of peace, it just seemed easier to sit back and rest. But there can be no rest when maenwaith raise hand against maenwaith."

Ayar's next words were directed at her daughter who still knelt beside the bed. "Whatever happens, there must be no split within the Eagles. Thorn and Narika should marry, as promised. They will be named leaders of the clan and will jointly exercise the headship, each offering their special gift: Narika, her knowledge of lore and music; Thorn, his skills as a warrior. Each will help the other find the right path. For Narika has an iron will and loves the traditional ways, while Thorn has the strength to reflect on events and decide when a change is needed. And you must help them too, Ráma."

Ráma looked straight at her mother and replied without hesitation, "I understand what you are asking. I pledge my loyalty. I will help my sister and Thorn any way I can." Yet all the while she wondered what she could possibly do.

"You must speak these things to the Elders, Ráma.....to them and, if I can not, even to your sister. The clan must use its wits and heart to do battle with claw and sword and talon and every resource they can muster. You and the others must ride out to the other clans, all those who will listen to words of reason, and rouse them to fight. Invite them to join as equal partners to put down Wyrma's tyranny."

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 07-10-2004 at 10:08 AM.