View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #243
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nerindel’s post – Sorona

A rush of memories hit her like a tidal wave. Memories of her relationship and friendship with the young woman Surinen now named leader of the eagle clan came to the forefront of her mind, but the joy of this revelation was short lived as Surinen gave her the awful news that Ayar lay seriously ill, worse still that it was believed that someone had purposefully brought this deadly affliction upon their leader. Genuinely concerned she asked if Ayar would be alright, but when Surinen dropped his gaze, she knew that her old friend was grievously ill.

"Do you know who would do this?" she asked changing her question at the young mans obvious distress. Surinen shook his head slowly but admitted that there were some among their people who might. He went on to describe how there where some among their people who believed the Meldakhar unwise and one in particular to whom Ayar's strength was a trial; although Surinen mentioned no names he did seem to believe that the latter was responsible for Ayar's sudden illness.

"But who is that, and to what purpose would this be done?" She asked, but even before she got the words out she knew the answer. Ráma's warning that her mother thought that Wyrma's real dream was to wield a power so great that she could someday humble even the mighty city of Minas Tirith came back to her. She was no longer the innocent young woman she remembered, she knew the evils the hunger for power bred in people, though she wished she did not. If this Wyrma had been corrupted by the lure of such a power and looked to hold dominance over her people, she would allow no one to stand in her way. Sorona suddenly feared for these people, knowing that this Wyrma was likely the one responsible for Ayar's condition. She silently scolded herself for not listening to the warning she had been given, worrying that perhaps she had come to late and that the things her dream showed her were already coming to pass.

"Perhaps it would be better if you saved that question for Ráma, for I know too little and talk too much." Surinen was saying. "And have only been given dreams that I don't understand," Sorona's head snapped up and she looked at the young outrider startled by his choice of words. She continued to stare as the young man looked away search the dispersing crowd for someone.

"Dreams are sometimes all we have," she sighed ruefully to herself as she followed him towards the tent where he spoke to the two men that stood guard outside the Gondorians tent. after a moment he gestured for her to follow him inside, The two Gondorians stood just to the left of the entrance, immersed in deep conversation, which stopped abruptly as she and the young outrider entered. Surinen did not stop to acknowledge the two men but crossed the tent to speak with the young maenwaith woman who busily attended the table set at the far side of the tent. Sorona however moved to join the two Gondorians nodded her head in way of a polite greeting.

"I do not believe my name was given before but it is Sorona," she smiled pleasantly. "I am kin to these people, but have spend most of my life in your lands and the lands further north, observing and learning the ways of the other races that we share these lands with, but as a result I have become as much a stranger here as you are." there was a touch of regret in her voice as she spoke but she pressed on, gesturing for the Gondorians to sit as she dropped her voice to a whisper.

"I do not know of how much you are aware but It seems that our arrival is badly timed, the leader of this clan is grievously ill and from what I have gleaned and what Rama has told me I believe that this Wyrma is the one responsible, I tell these things to you because you are friends with Aiwendil, one of the wise and therefore must be good and honourable people."

"You know the Istar also?" Airefalas asked slightly taken aback, she nodded slightly amused at the young mans surprise, "Yes, though I knew him by a different name, Thorondil, loosely translated in our ancient tongue it means friend of Eagles, rather apt don't you think considering where we are." The two men nodded and she continued, "I do not know if the old man will even remember me and If he does I fear I will not be remembered fondly. I owe the him a great debt, he saved my life once, though at the time I was less than thankful for his services immersed as I was in the darkest depths of my own despair." her eyes became distant as she remembered the horrors she had learned to forget and the life she had forsaken so she could be rid of its pain.

But feeling the troubled stares of the two men she shook herself forcing a reassuring smile, "I do not fully understand what is going on here or why fate has brought you and the wise one at this time, But I have seen this city that Ráma spoke of, in a dream, that is why I am here,"

"A dream!" Airefalas interjected incredously, Sorona's looked at him sharply, but to her surprise it was Mithadan who spoke, "you should not underestimate the power of dreams my friend," he whispered sternly to his first mate, then turning back he urged her to continue. She stared at him for a moment wondering who he was and were he had gain such wisdom, a new found respect welling inside her as she continued.

"At first I thought the dream no more than a punishment, you see I let curiosity get the better of me, I let myself be enamoured by the stories of the Nimir and the tales of sailors of a land far to the west and land that knew no sorrow or grief, a land of peace and tranquility. I wished only a look, to see the white spires that the Gondorian sailors sang about, dismissing the warnings the tales and songs gave out. I was cast back in on a fierce storm, and left with this dream a reminder I thought, that one should not reach beyond their own mortality. At first the urge to come south was strong, but I feared what my return would mean so ignored the dream, brushing it of as just that, a dream, something I now deeply regret. What this dream show to me fills me with such fear and dread, that I will only share its warning with the wise one and who ever now lead this clan in Ayar's stead, I tell you this much for I believe that Rama is right, if this Wyrm succeeds in gaining dominance over her people, your people will face a new threat and I do not say this lightly, I know first hand how the abilities of our people can be used and manipulated to bring harm to others." She cast her eyes to the ground as she remembered the things she had been force to do in her life in order to survive and in an effort to protect those she had been imprisoned with, slowly she lifted her right taloned foot to show them the mark of her enslavement, a long healed brand in the shape of an eye. The two men gasped audibly drawing the looks of the young outrider and his companion., she quickly replaced her foot to the ground afraid that any of her people should see it.

"There is something I must ask you, they I will answer any questions you have," she whispered hurriedly as Surinen turned to resume his conversation with the young Maenwaith woman.

"On my return to these lands a found myself strangly drawn to a young man who resides within the city of Umbar, I saw you both enter his house. This young man seems to be a merchant, he has distinctive raven coloured hair. I would ask what you know of him?"

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-06-2004 at 11:51 AM.