View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 03:50 AM   #78
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Nar, Yes, I can see what you mean, & I did misquote you - ~I was writing it at work, & didn't have a lot of time. I do wonder how much weight we can give to Tolkien's statement/interpretation of Bombadil being the spirit of the Berkshire countryside. There's definitely something of the spirit of that place in the Old Forest - more so as it appears in the Bombadil poems- the first of which preceded Toms appearance in LotR by some years, but I get the feeling that a great deal of Tolkien's own interpretation of characters was done 'after thee event'. There are very strong Pagan thems in the stories, which Tolkien himself became very uncomfortable with in later years - the Gods/Valar thing, etc. Tom Is a very Pagan figure. I'm wondering how much 'explaining away' Tolkien did, in order to keep the Legendarium (in his own mind) sufficiently 'orthodox.
All that said, The Hobbits weren't rescued by 'the spirit of the Oxfordshire/Berkshire countryside'. They were rescued by Tom Bombadil. You can end up with metaphors interacting with metaphors, & the whole thing & falls apart.