View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 08:32 AM   #54
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Sorry, can't give any details of the celtic figures, welsh I think, which the authors put forward, as I'm writing this at work, rebel that I am, & don't have the book with me. You'll have to buy it - which you should as the authors are really nice people. I met them at the Tolkien Society's Oxonmoot this year, where I got the chance to visit Tolkien's grave. I knelt & placed my hand on the earth of the grave & it was a moment that I'll remember forever, but I digress.
There is, though, a strong resemblence, though not exact, to figures like Myrddin Wellt & Lailoken, the wild prophets inspired to verse & mad capering dances.
Ok, I was wrong in putting it as strongly as I did that Bk 1 is out of place with the rest of the work. I should just have said it
it has, as you said, a stranger feel, less hard & 'real'. Tolkien himself, I think, said the same in one of his letters.