View Single Post
Old 01-09-2001, 12:43 PM   #22
Saulotus
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saulotus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Literary devices and plans to start

There's quite a bit here; so I'll refrain from a complete commentary.

It seems I wasn't quite on the same page afterall.
After seeing suggestions for adding material from text X to Text B (of which they are unrelated), then I would have to express concern.

i.e. Shibboleth should stand alone, not be an incorporated featurette, Quendi And Eldar is SUPPOSED to be an Appendixed item, as is Athrabeth not a source of text for another text.

I think that clarification on my part should express my concern considering editorial and creative expression.

As a possible solution to appease; Silmarillion is a conglomeration of stories from different sources. Christopher made a &gt;creative choice&lt; to develop a sense of narrative flow, which was not truly intended or acheived in many places, not an editorial choice.

In this way, Tuor can abide alongside Fall of Gondolin without significant alteration as example.

FYI: in my personal copies, I make extensive use of the Lays prsented as historical flavor, and to accentuate different styles or details otherwise unknown (Boldog for example).

If I am still on the wrong page, please let me know.
I can go with the current idea, but it seems a bit excesssive.

I used Maeglin as an example as it is done using only text taken from Maeglin and it's variants, while keeping in mind the conceptual whole picture.

</p>
Saulotus is offline   Reply With Quote