View Single Post
Old 08-10-2002, 02:36 PM   #329
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird took a swig from the wineskin, and lobbed a small pebble into the stream, waking a drowsy water rat, who took off upstream in a huff.

(O.O.C.- Anyone recognize the tribute to Yeats, there? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

"Well, Holly, m'dear, I'll be needing you to fetch my pack from the inn, 'lest that innkeeper throws my things in his storeroom to sell at his leisure."

"Oh, Bird, what were you thinking? How could you do such at thing here, with all these Rangers around us?"

"I needed the money, Holly. Simple as that. I'm in debt to your new friend, Olo. May as well know that, while we're on the subject. Maybe I can do some washing up or kitchen work here for a month or two, 'til I get on my feet again and can be on my way."

Bird took another drink, and made a face. The leather of the wineskin had been poorly cured. "So, how was your meeting? Figured out the fate of Middle-Earth and Over-Heaven, did you?"

"Bird, be serious. Things are happening around here." Holly lowered her voice, "Dire things. Forces are creeping into the West. What kind, they are not certain yet. But things are becoming dangerous."

"Are they now?" said Bird with a snort. "Well, folks in these parts can rest easier, knowing that your precious Rangers are guarding them from the likes of me." The skin-changer picked up a handful of stones and threw them violently into the river. "Of course, that fat Halfling merchant, Podo Cotton, can have dealings with the Southerners right under the noses of that Gandalf and his Dunedain, and ride off back to the Shire with a cartful of Umbar gold for his reward. But at least they know enough to shut down an innocent game of "pea-and-thimble".

"What did you say?" came a voice behind them.