Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #12269
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
1. Sarn Athrad?
Quote:
I'll also go ahead and throw Maeglin for 2, because 'traitor'.
Are not right, but,

Quote:
Or maybe Mim, if the clues 1 and 2 are a pair.
has the correct traitor (but is not the answer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So I also read the first clue as likely relating to Mim. What other cursed hoards are there? There is the Doriath loot, but I don't think there's the last of a line involved. Smaug was the last great dragon, but I don't think his hoard was specifically cursed, no one laid a curse on it. I thought that Mim was the only one who fit the bill.
As far as I know, he is.

Quote:
And therefore where would be in NARGOTHROND, while the second would be at AMON RUDH.
These are the right locations, but not the right names.

Quote:
If 4 is a reference to Thingol's death by greedy / insulted Dwarves, then in DORIATH.
That's the reference, but not where his death was plotted.

Quote:
5 sounds like a reference to 4, but this really doesn't sound like Thingol. What it does sound like is the Dwarves of BELEGOST bearing away their fallen kind Azaghal during the Nirnaeth.
Correct location (well done!), but again the wrong name.

Quote:
There is very much a Dwarven flavour to this, I think. I thought 3 would be DURIN, but I can't find mention of mist on his breath in Gimli's Durin song, and besides it doesn't have enough letters.
Durin is the eldest here, but is not the answer.

Quote:
Then, when I first read "pit" my mind went to Tol-in-Gaurhoth. However, this is a Dwarven pit, in the Common speech - and therefore DWARROWDELF?
Once again the right location - but not the right name. Who said Common speech? (Or in other words: all what?)

Quote:
I am not the puzzle maker, but I think only the first two answers you gave are right, because the password won't make sense otherwise (unless Huey chose a nonsense password.)
As if I would! (I totally would, by accident if nothing else.) But not on this occasion.

Because I'm being picky about precise names, I'll sum up the above hints:

1 - name for Nargothrond
2 - name for Amon Rudh
3 - something about Durin
4 - something about plotting Thingol's death
5 - name for Belegost
6 - name for Moria

hS