View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So this is what Melkor's disharmonious braying in the Music was all about - Mortality? The waning of life, unavoidable death? Now this is a grave matter, if you'll forgive the pun, and all the more so if he has indeed contrived to inflict this doom upon us, changing our nature in despite of the One who made us and him.

Yet I feel this only proves once more that Melkor can only ape and distort what already is, not create anew. For do not the kelvar and olvar die even in the Spring of Arda and return to earth and mould so that new life can come into being? And how can it be otherwise, since only the One himself can create ex nihilo! So if there is anything new in this design of Melkor's, it can only be the introduction of mortality to sentient creatures.

But not even that is true, as I know full well from observing the Lord Oromë's hounds (which, as you know, it is my privilege to tend when they're not hunting with him). Only a fool could deny that they are aware of themselves and feel and even dream, yet mortal though they are, they do not fear death, being content to live in the present.

So my advice is, let us follow our example and not be unmanned by the change that has allegedly been wrought upon us, but concentrate on the matter at hand and find the servants of the Marrer in our middle, so that we may escape from this dungeon.

(As for those threats of sending our souls to the void of nothingness, it is my firm conviction that Melkor is deluding himself in this, and the One will not let Himself be deprived of His own as easily as he thinks. But the truth about this only time will tell.)