View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 07:07 AM   #4034
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Hmm. Other than one word, it sounds like Hurin. He only knew two of his children: Lalaith, who died at home after being an uncontainably joyful child, and Turin, who died with his mate, Nienor, after roaming around fighting fate and seeking retribution. Even the last stanza fits Hurin - "the land they died in" refers to the burning of Brethil, while he returned to both Hithlum and Gondolin (or tried to) after his release.

But the line says "The other died with her mate", which makes this child "the first" who fled and remained in "this land". Lalaith didn't die with anyone.

hS
Oh, close, but not quite there yet. If it helps, the speaker is unlikely to utter the last line, but I wrote it based on [speaker]'s actions. Also, you're right in that Turin is one of the 'children', but neither Hurin nor Lalaith are involved. (Although Hurin might be a mite bit involved, since it was his actions which brought about [that event].)

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 02-22-2023 at 07:12 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote