View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #387
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Well, there is Feanor and Nerdanel, as well as Alvar and Isfin (albeit briefly). And then Feanor died and Alvar died and Isfin died, so I guess they don't count as estranged anymore.
Not to mention Yavanna and Mr. "Nevertheless they will have need of wood" Aule... still, it was a nicely constrained list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am very slowly rereading The Sil in between tasks, and I am newly impressed with Nerdanel's skill in restraining and guiding Feanor. Much more impressed than I was on my first read at the ripe old age of 13.

Sorry about the tangent. She's just a very remarkable estranged wife.
As far as I'm concerned, this sort of tangent is fantastic. Like a lot of Tolkien's women, Nerdanel is a fascinating character who I wish had more written about her. Her Gateway article includes comments like "She was not considered among 'the fairest of her people'," and "the element nerd- in Nerdanel perhaps derives from nerdo ('large, strong man')," which paints an even more peculiar picture - along with the fact that she pretty firmly broke with Feanor at the point he was exiled and she said 'nah, I'm gonna go live with your hated stepmother'.

Speaking of whom...

How many female Elven descendants does Indis have?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote