View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
White Tree Sweet! I'm in Gondor!

I'm such a dork. I was looking out of my window today, staring at the clocktower on Main West, and it just struck me how being at Duke reminds me of Gondor.

Granted, Duke's gothic campus, including the Chapel tower, is more grey, rather than white. And strapping lads with giant swords can usually be seen only on Halloween. And, you know, this is just a college campus, swamped with harrassed/hungover/overwhelmed/over-dressed/under-dressed students, and god-like faculty.

But still. I've been thinking about it a lot, and I feel as though that Duke has that special atmosphere. At certain angles and in certain light, it really does remind me of parts of Tolkien's world. The Sarah P. Duke Gardens also have that feel, especially at twilight, when you're standing by some gnarly exotic tree, surrounded by fireflies...

Anyway, this is just to say that Tolkien afficionados should check Duke out, if they ever have the chance.

Oh, and I don't really do drugs that much anymore, in case you were wondering. I mean it, this place has that sumthin' sumthin'...

If anybody has been to Duke, and agrees/disagrees, I'd love to hear from you.

*kiss kiss*