View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #349
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am amused that everyone is ticked off about the show for their own different reasons. ^.^ Timelines, characters, languages, titles, armour... All of the above... There'll be something for every kind of fan...

I haven' been following any of the news since the trailer came out, but this picture made an odd impression on me for purely visual reasons. Isildur just looks very out of place in his simple clothing among these other finely dressed people. And I know this is just a photo shoot, but it's a little visually odd and was the first detail that caught my eye, before I figured out who is who. The second detail which caught my eye was the discordance in their expressions, leading to thoughts about their potential roles and attitudes in the story. Pharazon is very stern-looking, which is not inapropriate. His son seems a little bored, and I wonder of there is gonna be some filial slacking off. Miriel is smiling, for reasons I can't phathom - that doesn't fit as a representation of her role as subjugated queen. Did she successfully plot some Numenorian intigue? Is she not as unhappy here as I have imagined her to be in the book ?On the other side, Elendil is being very Aragorn-like, which is again not inappropriate. Isildur, like I said before, stands out as the only one in plain clothing and a pose that is even more relaxed and nonchalant than Pharazon's son, and a slight smile on his face - all of which creates the effect of cockiness or disrespect, not qualities I would generally attribute to Isildur but given the right spin could be used well. And finally Elendil's daughter, who is starring daggers and seems furious. And I know this is a generic photoshoot that means nothing, it's not an actual scene to analyze, but I can't help but interpret it on a gut level in the story context. And gut level interpretation is very discordant - these characters and emotions don't go together in this combinaion! So my overall superficial impression of the photo is "weird, for hard to explain reasons".

As a positive, I think I like their choice of costumes for Numenorian nobility (a right degree of pompous?), and the stone buildings in the background. They seem to have the right sort of "Atlantis" feel.