View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #538
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The day had been long - far too long. Dick was wearing out, and still customer’s were arriving. Well, of course they were. It was evening, after all, and evening was always the busiest time of day - it was supposed to be, because that’s when people were coming to the end of their day’s journeying.

There were some new arrivals with ponies that needed taking care of. Dick saw Will going out to tend to the animals and he nodded in approval. His mind went on immediately, though, and five minutes later, he was confronted by two hobbits who owned one of the carts and ponies.

“Hullo,” Dick said, blinking with a little surprise as two hobbit lasses faced him.

“Are you the innkeeper?” asked the older one. She looked rather fierce.

“I am that. How can I help you?”

The older one gave the younger a prod and the girl stepped forward. “I snuck behind your counter and stole some ale,” she mumbled. “I am sorry.”

“Oh. O h dear me,” Dick said. He didn’t know what to think. The thing was unheard of, almost.

“I’m sorry, too,” said the older one in a clearer voice. “Here’s pay for it, also for supper and a room. Ruby here’s something of a trouble maker, sir, and I hope you’ll forgive us both, but if she causes any other trouble and you find anything else missing, you can do whatever you think necessary.”

“Well...yes, well...I hope it doesn’t come to that.” Dick took the offered coins and directed them to a room. “I hope this is comfortable for you. When you’re ready for dinner come back on out to the common room and you’ll be served immediately.”

He padded back up the hall and plunged once more into other business. Before much longer, another hobbit entered. She found a seat and sat back to consider the people around her. Dick meant to go to her immediately and see how he could serve her, but as he crossed the room, his sleeve was caught by someone to his left. He turned at once, and found himself face to face with a much distressed Mrs. Hedgethistle.

“Oh, Mr. Boffin! Have my children been found yet?”

“I don’t know, Mrs. Hedgethistle,” replied Dick, patting the distraught hobbit’s hand gently. “I haven’t heard from the dwarf Kurik or Tollers in quite some time.” She let out a wail of despair and Dick tried to comfort her. “I’m sure they’ll be fine when they find them! Tollers is a sensible lad, and the dwarf is big and strong so nothing will be very dangerous for them. Here, sit down, and I’ll make sure you get something to eat and get a drink.”

Mrs. Hedgethistle collapsed into her chair and Dick hurried on to the newest customer. “Good evening, ma’am, can I get you anything to eat or drink?”