View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #522
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
The lost children....

The children sat cross legged on the ground. Their shoulders touched as they huddled in a tight circle and tried not to notice the heavy black shadows that played around their heads. For the past half hour, Tom had told stories to keep the little ones from becoming too frightened. But even he had reached the end of his patience and fortitude.

"I'm tired, Daisy. I'm so tired. Tired and scared. I wish I'd never seen that ring or torque or taken the key from the bar. I wouldn't even mind running into the Dwarf. Just as long as we make it out of here."

Daisy leaned over and took her brother's hand in an unusual show of affection, "It's alright. We'll get out. I know it. Rest now. Just for a minute. The others have fallen asleep." Lilly's head hung heavy against her shoulder, as her own eyelids fluttered up and down. A moment more and she could not keep them open. There was silence in the twisted halls as all the children slept.

Tollers

"Good! Good!" Tollers nodded his head approvingly in response to what the Dwarf said. "Let's go outside and ring the alarm bell in the yard. I've already told Master Dick what's happening, so he'll be able to direct the search inside the Inn. Then you and I can concentrate on the outside."

Tollers grabbed the Dwarf's sleeve and indicated to Kuric that he should follow him out the front door. For the next hour, the two of them scoured the surrounding yard and garden as well as the stable and the shed where tools and old furniture were kept. Despite their best effort, they came up with nothing. Nor was their any indication that the Innkeeper was having any luck inside the Perch. The sun was dipping down in the sky. In just a little while, the moon would rise and darkness would descend on the Shire. If the children were going to be found, they would need to do it very soon.

Tired and frustrated, Tollers stopped for a moment and threw his body down on the ground just outside the chute that led down to the Inn's cellar. He mumbled something to Kuric about needing to rest. That was when he saw it. It was still light enough that he could make out a small leather pouch caught on a nail on the door that led to the cellar. He yanked the bag down and looked inside and then waved it in the air. "Look here. This was stuck on a nail. Right there at the entrance to the cellar. And look what's here....all sorts of things a lass might want!" There was a green ball, a skirt for a doll, and two small candles, along with an assortment of marbles and rings and other children's treasures. Tollers stood up but Kuric had already beaten him over to the door and was trying to pull the trap up.

Last edited by Tevildo; 06-07-2007 at 01:20 AM.