View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Good stuff. As a linguist, it's not surprising Tolkien's had this impact on his readers. For Tolkien, first came the name, or word, and then came the story. And it's significant when Tolkien leaves things nameless, like the Ringwraiths, or like Gollum forgetting his true name and just being called after the sound he makes in his throat.

Mine is "Entmoot." Anyone who's met me in person or through just facebook might have figured out I'm always a few days late to the most up to date major happenings and news cycles. It's not because I don't care about what's going on in the world, I'm just someone who's never understood the obsession with being "first"..."first to the debate," I remember the fad with people just commenting "first" as if being the first to comment was some type of accomplishment/your opinion means more because you were the first to splurt anything out. Anyway a phrase from Tolkien that could tell my story/shape my mind, is Treebeards about Entish:

"...it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to."

Edit: Or also applicable:

"However, deciding what to do does not take Ents so long as going over all the facts and events that they have to make up their minds about."

So, one would definitely says my mind is like an Entmoot. :-D

Last edited by Boromir88; 07-30-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote