View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 10:55 AM   #25
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe Concerning Sam and the use of the word 'Sir'

In my opinion, Tolkien is using this class distinction to make the transformation of the shire at the end more, (for loos of a better word) dramatic. If you look at how Lobelia sacvill Baggins is applauded for the first time at the end, I think that in this characterisation of Sam seeing the others as higher up shows how changes are made. That is just looking on it on a wider scale, considering the entire book.

Also the fact that Sam's family have been gardening for the Baggenses (Is that the right plural?) for a long time, and they are far richer than they are. Especially after Bilbo's adventure and subsequently treasure from smoug's horde. (If I remember correctly that was only two chests, one of silver, one of Gold, correct me if I am mistaken). Perhaps it is that Sam's Gaffer brought him up to respect his employers; think of them as higher people. If you look at the way the Gaffer is quoted to speak to Sam, we get the impression that he was brought up thinking himself to be on a lower intelligence level than Bilbo and Frodo.

This is as the Gaffer seems to have many sayings like "You ninny hammer" and (My favourite) "Every time you open your mouth you stick your foot in it."
So Perhaps it is the Gaffer's portrayal of Sam being a 'stupid boy' and the Baggins family as being a rich and therefore intelligent family that leaves him feeling a sort of lower being so to speak.

This upbringing would seem to explain why he defends Frodo so fiercely through out the book, even in the green dragon inn at Bywater when Sandyman and the others badmouth him, Sam defends Frodo, and so to does the Gaffer. Perhaps it is the way of the shire to see richer people (Or hobbits) as higher authorities. So I would put Sam's use of the word 'sir' down to his upbringing and courtesy.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 07-07-2004 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Title
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote