View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 AM   #22
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

For now, I have just a few quick observations, having enjoyed everyone's posts here!

I am struck by how quickly the presence of the evil is felt in this chapter, how close the Black Riders are to Frodo's trail. And the detail about the Riders sniffing around for the hobbits! It almost makes them bestial characters from perilous stories. I think the two near misses are the more ominous given that this is just the start of the journey, and the hobbits are still in The Shire, and that Gandalf is not around to counsel Frodo. And the fortuitous happenstance of the elven song driving the Rider away. Such a small touch but so significant!

To be honest, I don't like one small point in Sam's characterisation, his constantly using "sir" to speak to Frodo and Pippin. I understand of course how the story itself will wipe away that class distinction--and perhaps for that very reason Tolkien chose to have Sam use the title of respect for "higher ups"--but to me it is an uncomfortable mark of life in The Shire.

With all the hobbits' awe of the elves, it is nice to see that Tolkien added a touch of humour to the interactions here.

Quote:
But we have no need of other company, and hobbits are so dull, they laughed.
Disjointed comments, I'm afraid, and not worthy of the very solid reflections and thoughtful posts here. Oh, and one last thought: does anyone know when Tolkien chose the chapter titles?