View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #63
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Maybe I'm mixing up my Sil and HoME, but just how did Gondolin fall? And the sons of Feanor, though foes of Morgoth, weren't exemplars of good conduct.
Well, his treachery falls under the conditions of the Quendi and Eldar (fear of torment):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
... it came to pass, as fate willed, that Maeglin was taken prisoner by Orcs, and brought to Angband, Maeglin was no weakling or craven, but the torment wherewith he was threatened cowed his spirit, and he purchased his life and freedom by revealing to Morgoth the very place of Gondolin and the ways whereby it might be found and assailed.
Quote:
And the sons of Feanor, though foes of Morgoth, weren't exemplars of good conduct.
I agree, they weren't. However, I would opine that their oath and the curse is what led them astray, not a desire to serve Melkor. Then again, you might be right if we give "going down Melkor's road" a large enough meaning - i.e. turning towards evil, for one reason or another. But on the strictest of senses, I would say it was not the case.