View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Well, they always say that they are giving the value for insurance purposes. But you can often see the owner's face light up (or drop, depending on the amount) when they are told the value ...
True but you also see people genuinely torn when they find out that something they have loved for years is so valuable that they can't justify keeping it ... or it will cause family squabbles. I mean it turned out that the item I chose as a memento from my grandmother's house was worth £150 pounds and the one my sister chose was worth £4000. I wasn't bothered because I still prefer my choice and wouldn't sell it.... but if it had been the other way around..... well my sibling miffed is not a pretty sight

Unfortunately the only letter I from a famous person I have an interest in is from Florence Nightingale, which I would be quite happy to pass to the relevant archive rather than sell because I think it belongs where it can be accessed by all those interested. But it is easy for me to say that, because I am NOT interested. If it were a letter from Tolkien... I have a horrid feeling I might become as possessive as Gollum with the ring. "Mine... my precioussssssssssssss"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote