View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #26
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
2. Galdor of Gondolin is a wholly diffrent character then the one in LoTR. He is much wiser and stronger in FoG and I think the most valiant of the Gondothlim save Turgon" may have been held in some honour.
You can't support this claim. Galdor of the Tree is never reported to have died, and such a noteworthy Elf-lord's defeat could be expected to be documented. There was also a ban on the Noldor returning to Aman. They could be redeemed through their actions, though, so we don't know exactly how the ban might have affected Galdor personally. But if the ban did prevent him from returning to Aman -- or if he thought it did, at any rate -- where would you find him in Middle-earth, do you think? I think the Grey Havens is one of the likeliest places, with ancient, wise Círdan, one of the only Elves left in Middle-earth with such a noble history as Galdor. The fact that he was invited to the Council indicates that he was a lord of some importance, not just an errand runner. He says this at the Council:
Quote:
What power still remains lies with us, here in Imladris, or with Círdan at the Havens, or in Lórien.
There also happens to be no statement regarding Galdor's wisdom in the Fall of Gondolin. He is only said to be valiant.

As for Legolas of LotR being the same as Legolas of Gondolin, it's laughable that anyone would pretend that his ability to identify a Balrog is any kind of evidence of his age or lineage. I have never been in the presence of a rhinoceros, but I am quite certain that I could pick one out of a lineup. Think of the role Balrogs played in the stories of ages past -- Legolas calls them 'Elf-banes' -- and even in the 'religious' education of the Elves.

I suppose it's evidence that I prepared my post poorly when I edit it three times. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: obloquy ]
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote