View Single Post
Old 12-25-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420! Why consort with the dead?

Celebrating Christmas and my one-year anniversary as a member of the Barrow-Downs has been very taxing on my liver, as you can imagine. I have, however, decided to pull myself together for now to post my top-ten reasons for haunting this eerie, yet friendly corner of cyberspace for a whole year now.

10. German influence-I have yet to see a Tolkien forum where at least two of the moderators are fluent in Deutsch, and can appreciate Lederhosen jokes...I think.

9. Avatars-I am convinced that there is much psychological symbolism associated with the picture you choose to display next to your name, and delight in coming up with hypotheses as to why each member made a particular choice. Beware the pictorial psychoanalysis!

8. Message icons-You can choose an icon to delineate your mood or topic, or adopt a favorite to go along with all of your posts. Legolas afficionados tend to go for the arrow, as I have noted.

7. Signatures-Serving almost the same purpose as the avatar, they tell more about you than you may ever know...

6. The T-Shirt Contest-I'm including it here because I won (but all credit still goes to Estelyn Telcontar).

5. Diversity-It's always a pleasure to visit a country and know that fellow B-D members occupy it. When I go to London, I will fully expect Squatter of Amon Rudh to buy me a drink, for example. That, and the fact that some people get my obscure Russian literature references from day to day.

4. Tweediness and depth of knowledge-Some member of this forum are so profoundly erudite, they would make the master (a.k.a. Herr Tolkien) proud. It's always nice to be so thoroughly humbled by the superior reserves of knowledge on an internet forum. I feel smarter just for breathing the same grave-dust as Kalessin, for example.

3. Strict rules of conduct-The new demands placed on old and arriving members have streamlined discussion. Though displeasing to some, I have to tell you, I like to be restrained.

2. The head honcho-I was treated to lunch by Estelyn this summer and as I munched it down, I remembered that the only reason Esty and I were able to get to know each other was because some mysterious dude with a penchant for ghoulish green and a wealth of patience decided to make a hobby of a darkly entertaining Tolkien site. I have not forgotten that fact, and am rightfully using this opportunity to kiss up.

1. Wit-May of you kids and geezers (as well as folk in between) have been blessed with a sense of humour drier than a top-notch martini. My keyboard has come this close to imminent destruction as the result of various beverages overtuned during fits of laughter. Keep it up, and I'll be sending you the bill. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

That's it for my anniversary. If you have been here a while, and have a few reasons of your own, please share.

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]