View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #176
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
With regards to planning and voices and stuff... Ugh. How about I will reach out to our musical Downers and see if I can convert them. For the time being, I will keep working on the Duel, and we can record it any which way we like, because who cares if our voices don't always match up, this is not a full musical yet. And if other people join and we desire more consistency among the singers, we can do a take 2. That should give us enough time to figure out what song to start next.
Please do! But you're absolutely right, this doesn't have to be perfect. Even if Take 2 never happens, that's no reason to put off Take 1 indefinitely. Switching to different vocals is pretty easy - just record them, line the timing up, and swap the audio track on the video. (I was going to look at the vocal synching, wasn't I? On that next...)

~

For the graphics, I've run into literally the minorest moral qualm. My thought process when using Tolkien's heraldic devices was that pretty much everyone in the musical has one, so I wouldn't have to invent any. There was Galadriel, but she could just use Finarfin's.

Well... a) Galadriel, as a woman, needs a round device, and b) oh yeah, Amarie.

So I've had to design a couple of add-ons to the heraldic collection. At top we have the canonical Finarfin and Melian; below are my Galadriel and Amarie.

I don't feel any qualms about Galadriel - given that we know Finrod used his father's device, this is essentially what she would have used once she was head of House Finarfin in Middle-earth (which, given the absence of Orodreth in the musical, she is for both her songs). For Amarie, I've tried to draw from Finarfin's emblem (to symbolise the relationship), but also to evoke a Flower of Laurelin. Melian's device is theorised to be a Flower of Telperion, so I've taken a lot of hints from it. (Since the Sun is a Fruit of Laurelin, this means Amarie's device is a totally lost incarnation of the Light; it seemed appropriate.)

The question is, then: is this okay? I mean, yes, obviously, but should I feel bad about doing it? And also: does it actually look good, or should I work on it some more?

EDIT: Video with adjusted timing (& a rerecorded first stanza by me).

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 07-27-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote