View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Tolkien Pedantry about pedantry

I started a thread requesting a definition of canon from the Loremasters. It seemed strange to do it, but I did so partly in wondering whether the old definitions may have morphed in the last 15-20 years, and partly in my own joy in seeing a new expression of Middle-earth.

I have been in various FB threads. And they reminded me of old conversations we had here at the Downs. Twenty years later, my favorite trick is (still) to find a relevant Tolkien quote and post it (straight from a kindle-copy when possible.) It still blows peoples’ minds. And I am still baffled that it does (word searches are so easy. Try it you’ll like it.)

Nevertheless my favorite RoP descriptor is fanfic— the same descriptor I used for Jackson’s movies (that now have a rosy sunset glow about them). It makes everything easy— canonicity is a bonus worth celebrating when it appears, whereas departures from canon can be explored for virtues in the fanfic/altfic.

So I can be both pedantic and flexible/accepting. I love quoting Tolkien. And I love good fanfic (when it is canon friendly.) (But what does that MEAN?)

The thing I DON’T want to be is unkind and arrogant. I have seen far to much of that in the recent months.